From:
Gary W South <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 15:47:17 EDT
I have a Packard Bell  300 MHz Pentium II with 96 MB RAM. I was running
Windows 98 which was an upgrade from Windows 95. It was upgraded at least 3 years
ago. I ran the system file checker because it was havivg a couple minor
problems(short cuts not opening programs without rebooting, and I couldn't get the
modem to connect). File checker replaced a couple corrupt files and replaced
many others with previous versions from my Windows 98 disk. After that Windows
would not boot. I tried reinstalling Windows 98 several times but it causes
fatal exceptions when it gets to the part of setting up hardware. Sometimes the
errors were as it was setting up the hardware and other times it  was when the
computer needed  to restart after setting up the hardware. The following is one
example of what happened.

When it said it was setting up hardware and plug and play the BLUE SCREEN
came up. It said Windows on top

A fatal exception OE has occured at 015F:BFF9DBA7  The current application
will be terminated. press any key  after pressing a key it said

MSGSRV32 caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE at
0001:000025D6

After these errors sometimes ctrl+alt+del sometimes restarts but usually I
have to turn it off. If it restarts it comes back to the same or similar
problem. I sometimes get other error messages. I can get it started in safe mode but
it has no sound, and no CD-ROM.

Also I have 3 32 MB RAM chips. I pulled them out and tried one at a time to
see if maybe one of them was bad. It does the same thing with each one or all
in.

Does anyone have any idea of what is causing these problems and is there a
way to fix it without losing my 5 years of information I have collected?

TIA
Gary South

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml