From:
Jerry Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:07:29 -0400
The name coppermine comes from the fact that they are using copper for
internal chip connections instead of aluminum.  Copper is a much better
conductor than aluminum, which means that the resistance to electric current
is less, which means that less heat is produced.  The same current that
passes through an aluminum wire can pass through a copper one that is
smaller in diameter faster.  The problem in the past with using copper was
that it corroded too easily during manufacturing.  That problem has been
solved.

HTH
Jerry Rasmussen
Rasmussen & Bucklin Associates
Coral Springs FL
=================================

On Behalf Of Dave Gillett

On 24 Jun 99, at 12:13, Sami Al_mohssen wrote:

> what exactly is coppermine how is different from a PIII with the same
> speed. are there any new improvment to the architecture.

  I believe this name refers to the PIII as fabricated using .18 micron
process rather than .25 micron.

  From a software point of view, there should be no difference.  From a
hardware point of view, the .18 process should consume less power and
dissipate less heat -- and that, in turn, will allow it to operate at higher
speeds.
  From a financial point of view, .18 process should yield substantially
more
usable CPUs from each silicon wafer; since defect rates and many handling
costs go per wafer rather than per chip, this is important to Intel's
ability, over the mid term, to remain profitable while competing with AMD's
pricing.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html