From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 16:25:32 -0500
It's not necessarily dead.  I would unplug it, disconnect all
wires, open the case and check for any loose circuit boards,
memory or other visible damage before closing it up.  Then hook up
a monitor and plug it in.  Do you have any files on it that you
need or that have personal information?  You may not want to
simply discard it because someone might be able to recover that
info.  If you're uncomfortable checking it yourself, you can try a
local computer or tv repair.  Call first and ask what they would
charge to just check it out for you.  Desktop components are
easier to replace and are cheaper than laptop components.

ANNE NEIGHBORS wrote:

> I have an e-machine desk top that got dropped.  Should it be written off as a bad experience and a lesson to be more careful?
>
>   This, BTW, is why I've gone entirely to laptops.  Older women living alone can't carry pc's, heavy monitors, etc.
>
>   Thanks as always.
>
>   Anne Neighbors
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: