From:
"Hachmeyer, Mr. Paul S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:49:00 -0500
We have Dell's, IBM's, and HP's around the office.  I can't say one brand is consistently cooler than another.  You need to try to keep the vents clear, and away from clothing (when on your lap) or anwhere else (chair, sofa, bed).   You could try loading fan control software; you can find some freeware that will let you speed up the fans fulltime or adjust the temperature like lowering a thermostat at home.   One of my kids wanted the 17" widescreen, another wanted the smaller 15.4" screen.  I don't see any difference in the heat- they both get hot at times.
Paul Hachmeyer