From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 11:55:47 -0400
Joel:

A minor correction: MTBF is the Mean Time Before Failure, not Maximum.
It is a calculated parameter based on extensive testing of the various
components that are used in the drive, and is an estimate of how long an
"average" hard drive of this design would last under typical operating
conditions. In theory, if we tested a large number of these drives to
failure, the average of the failure times would be 150,000 hours -- some
will fail sooner, and some will last longer. In practice, of course, no
hard drive is going to survive 17+ years.

Hard drive manufacturers sometimes list other reliability parameters
that may be of more relevance. I have a Maxtor drive that is rated as
being capable of at least 50,000 stop/start cycles. It also has a rated
MTBF of 500,000 hours -- that's about 57 years! If we believe both of
these numbers, then the 500,000 hours life will occur only if this drive
experiences one stop/start cycle every 10 hours. Oh, by the way, the
warranty is for three years. Fujitsu quotes similar numbers (500,000
MTBF, 40,000 stop/start cycles), but they also state that the component
life is 5 years. I expect that the actual limiting factor is read/write
cycles -- but neither of these manufacturers provides this rating.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby