From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:20:03 -0700
On 1 Jun 99, at 23:14, Patrick Black wrote:

> Is there anyway to change the FIFO Buffer size in windows?
>
> Seems like there was an edit that could be made to do this in the system.ini
> file.

  [There is a FIFO buffer -- or, on better systems, one per channel --
associated with IDE/EIDE command processing.  As far as I know, this isn't
something you can adjust, though, so I've assumed that wasn't what you were
asking about.  So presumably, you mean the one associated with any serial
port using (or, more often these days, emulating) a Hitachi 16550A or better
UART.]

  One way to get there is from Control Panel|System|Device
Manager|Ports|COMn|Properties|Port Settings and click on the "Advanced"
button.  Or, if there's a modem on the port, you can go to the "Connection"
tab on the modem Properties to find the "Advanced" button.  And of course the
modem properties are reachable from Dial-Up Networking if that's where you
are when the urge to tweak your buffer strikes.

  I feel compelled to point out that I've never had a problem with Win 9x
that was fixed by adjusting this setting from its defaults.  I'm curious as
to what symptoms lead you to believe that this is going to be useful -- maybe
someone here could suggest a better solution if you describe the problem....

David G

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>