From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:57:32 -0800
Harvey Segal:

> I have read that it is preferable to keep your PC running
> all the time rather than switching it on or off several times
> a day: the exception being if you don't plan to use it for
> several days.

Leaving it on has 3 absolutes:
heat induced deterioation, unnecessary energy consumption,
and vulnerability to power quality issues.

yet if each system were protected from surges and brownouts
this would be acceptable; if you don't mind adding roughly
13 cents (US) every 8 hours to your electric bill and plan on
replacing your system within 2-3 years anyway.

Turning on as needed has 1 absolute:
with the exception of transformer based circuits,
any circuit engaging motors (ie.hdd,cd), relays, solenoids,
step up transformers, etc. will induce high initial current
draw (spike) when first turned on.

Picture a garden hose with a trigger release. When you first
press the trigger water surges out before reaching equilibrium.
Electricity does a similar thing due to high initial impedance (trigger
in the off state)

With this said, I suggest balancing both methods depending
on your usage for that day or week. Monitors should always
be turned off periodically to cool.

-yui shin

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>