Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:11:35 -0500
My knoppix 3.4 cd works great on a dell 4400 xp with 256 memory
mediacom cable machine. It will set up with no input and is ready to
type in a url and go in a little over three minutes. Also has f-prot
virus program that can scan and report virus on windows hard drive.

It will not work on my gateway pentium 90 machine with 64 memory.

Knoppix 3.4 also has trouble with dialup winmodems.

A user report on Knoppix.

Art Allen

On 18 Aug 2004 at 3:53, Cathy Pierce wrote:

> I have been offered one "Pentium 1 range (90-180)" from a government
> office.  I was told it has no operating system.  I was cautioned
> that while I may SOMEHOW be able to obtain (they didn't know how) an
> operating system for this computer, I may have trouble getting most
> software to work with this older system.  Some of the pre-school
> software I have states on the label that it will work with "Windows
> 3.1 or higher"; another set states it will work with "486MHz or
> better".

  Although some major recent software may not run particularly WELL
on
  such
an old.slow machine, it should be adequate for most simple web
browsing and emailing.
  Legitimate copies of Windows versions designed for hardware of this
vintage could be a little hard to come by, although you might ask
around to see if there's a "computer surplus" store in your area.
They often have stuff for not much more than spare change, just
because it's a few years out of date.

  Several people have suggested Linux as an alternative to Windows,
  and
that's an option worth considering.  Specifically, there's a Linux
package named "Knoppix", which will run directly from a CD-ROM -- and
there's a version of Knoppix specifically intended for children.
(You
haven't mentioned whether this machine includes a CD-ROM drive, and
you may need to find someone who can download Knoppix and burn it to
CD for you....)

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml