From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 21:48:24 -0500
Granted, it's "pretty safe" in that a person isn't likely to have a
catastrophic failure from doing this, but it's extremely risky if you
look at things in the long run. It's definitely not recommended if you
value your troubleshooting time and sanity. In short, xcopy doesn't
preserve the MS-DOS short file names properly, and there's nothing you
can do about it. Fortunately, there are several other methods of cloning
a drive that don't have this weakness.

Jeff Delzer