From:
Stanley Churchill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:19:46 -0600
Hey Bob,
One other clue is the "size" of the modem card.  Software modems are usually
smaller, with very few circuits on the board.  The board itself is just a
"sliver" compared to the hardware modem.  A hardware still will be about the
same width as the mounting plate and the full length of the PCI slot.  If
it's a "Winmodem" it is a software modem.  If you have an empty serial port,
another option would be an "external" modem, as this would be a hardware
modem.  The problem with "external" modems,is of course the cost.  Most
"hardware" modems I've seen, are quit specific about stating that they are
"hardware" modems on the packaging.