From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:51:41 -0500
Not to split hairs, but there _IS_ a difference between
the Windows Serial Number and the Product Key.

If Gary's client is trying to input a serial number
in the Product Key dialog box, then it will not work.

The Serial Number is generated AFTER Windows
is installed.  (Through past experimentation , I
confirmed that the Serial Number is a combination of
the Product Key plus something unique to the individual
PC.  I didn't go any deeper in my experiment. <g>.)

The Product Key is on the orange sticker
on the back of the CD case/sleeve.  Copying the
contents of the CD to a hard drive would not change
the Product Key.  Gary's client can still install Windows
from the hard drive using the Product Key on the CD case.

This is exactly how I do ALL my installs -- it really is a time saver
when you add new hardware......

Jim Meagher