From:
Leigh Jennings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:53:18 +1000
Hi
I am in need of a crash course on maintaining a LAN.

There are 8 pc's with one running winME and the others running win98,  They
run through a "Sniper" 8 port fast switching ethernet hub.  Three of the
pc's have a laser printer attached.
The lan is set up using netBEUI, though tcp/ip seems to be installed on
several of the machines even though the network is specifically NOT
connected to the internet.
Wiring is the standard blue network cable.

My level of experience:
I have successfully set up a home network of two pc's with a direct cable
and another using coax.
I have been unsuccessful in networking my winxp to  my win98 machine same
for a win2k to win 98...no go.(they are through an adsl  router though) Its
not the cabling though because when I boot to win98 on both machines they
can see each other! I digress, this is not the real issue here.
  Also I have not used a hub to date,

Can someone suggest an online course/tutorial/website that might give me a
good grounding and the resources to manage the 8 pc lan above?
It wouldnt hurt if I learnt to overcome the windows version problems I have
with my home lan too.

TIA

Leigh Jennings
Hound Heaven Web Design