From:
Hershel Saylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:33:22 -0500
I had a problem like this once.  The problem was that the monitor was
feeding back a voltage to the video card and causing overheating and
eventual (days later) failure.  After replacing several video cards, we
placed
a fan to blow air over the chips on the card until customer could buy a new
monitor.

Don't know if this has a bearing on your problem, but it is just my
experience.

                         Hershel