From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:47:56 -0600
Paul, that did the trick!  You get the golden trophy! :)

I went to Network > Properties > Manage Network Connection > Local Area
Connection > Properties > Internet Protocol Version 4 > Properties >
Alternate Configuration >  User Configured

and entered the numbers that I thought would work, based on an "ipconfig
/all" on my working computer.  It took a little experimenting (two or
three attempts), but I got it working.

WHEW!

The problem was that it was unable to get an ip address from the router.
The ip address that it was using was one of the random ones - so it
showed a network connection, but couldn't see anything.  I still don't
know why it couldn't get an address, but it couldn't.  My D-Link router
setup has a checkbox, "always broadcast" for "(compatibility for some
DHCP Clients)."   I never tried checking that.  Perhaps it would have
worked.  I will try that on the other computer that I am building,
maybe, but it looks like a possible risk.

Thanks to everyone who took their time to help me with this.  I have
been struggling with it (and other problems) for about a week, and I
appreciate your suggestions.

Dean Kukral

----- Original Message <----------- Messages Edited for brevity and
clarity
From: "Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
> Russ, you are absolutely correct.  The ip address is not in the range
> that I specified on the router.  When I reserved an ip address for the
> pc in the router (to avoid conflict with my TIVO), it did not get that
> address either.
>
> So, how do I get the pc to get the correct address?  I tried a release
> and a renew to no avail.
>
> Dean

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml