Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:31:33 -0700
Thank you for the information - some additional comments regarding my DVDRW.

The trouble with my drive started a couple of days ago when it had trouble
reading a commercial video DVD. This has happened before on some DVDs so I
did not pay much attention to it. Last night it started the "choppy audio"
problem, and this happened with three different commercial video DVDs. Not
likely that it was a compatibility problem. The only thing I have not ruled
out is the possibility of a corrupted driver, although I did try to
uninstall and re-install the device driver with no change.

I am assigning the failure during firmware update as being caused by failing
hardware. However, I am not completely certain of that and was seeking input
if others have experience "choppy audio" type of failure. In any case, I
suspect that having failed an update of firmware, and thus killed the
interface, I now need a new drive. The old drive is probably now beyond
recovery. Sad fate.

Regarding a replacement - I assume Lightscribe requires special media. Is
this a worthwhile thing?

Last item - I am considering an NEC ND-4570A that NewEgg currently has for
$39 plus $5 shipping. Seems almost as good for specs as the Sony DRU820A,
but almost half the price. Also, how important is DVD-RAM support?

Peter