Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:36:27 +0000
Are you getting any messages when the pc boots up?  Sounds like it's booting to the signon screen.  A standard wired mouse, not wireless, with USB plug?  Keyboard is plugged into correct hole - it will also fit the mouse hole but will not work.  Some BIOS have a setting to activate USB ports - go into setup while booting to verify that they are turned on.
Do you have another mouse (borrow for a few minutes from a friend, neighbor or school?) you could try?
Unplug the mouse and plug into a different usb port if available.  You may here a 'ding' sound and windows may popup a screen 'new hardware detected',  depending on windows version.