From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 17:10:17 -0600
At 09:14 AM 09/08/2000, you wrote:
>From: William Patton
>Date: Sept 8, 2000
>Subject: Motherboards&cpu
>
>Hello:  I presently have a Asus HX botherboard with 200mmx in AT form
>factor.  I would like to get a new motherboard, but have not kept up with
>all the possible slots and sockets and configurations.  I was hoping to stay
>with the AT form.  Am I just dreaming or is that pretty much  history?  I
>don't need the latest and greatest but would like the "sweet spot" to buy
>now.  Can anyone update me on what would be good, should I really go with
>ATX, what chip set is currently recommended and has been the least trouble.
>I do now that the BX chip set has been out for awhile.  Could I do better
>then that.  Thank you

There are so many options in play here that will effect your
decision, AMD vs Intel CPU is the first consideration.  Personally,
I have been an Intel guy for a long time and biased.

Your current system being AT and HX chipset, I imagine that you
are using 72pin Simm memory.  That is a big consideration as
your memory will not transfer to a new board.  Your AT case
will also not support an ATX motherboard, wrong switch and
wrong power supply connectors.

Yes...   the current trend is with the ATX powersupply.  Trying
to stay with an AT motherboard to suit your case will only mean
you are paying nearly the same money for old technology...  and
AT boards will not support the new CPUs.

I recommend the Apollo 133A chipset for all-around use by a
home or small office PC.  It is much more versatile with a myriad
of components and economical.   Your will probably want to
go with a FCPGA socket on the board, although there are some
boards with both a FCPGA socket and a slot one socket.  Intel
will be using the FCPGA socket for future CPUs...  so that is
best at this time.  The Intel I810 - I820 chipsets are fine and
we use them in rackmount servers...  but, they tend to be a bit
problematic for systems with lots of devices like CD writers and
high end video cards, (for my tastes).

As far as CPU sweet spots...  it depends on your comfort
level for buying a CPU.  Personally, I would go with a 700
to 750mhz range CPU, but you can save a hundred dollars or
so by using a 500mhz chip.

In this upgrade you will need new Ram and a new case.  A good
case will run about $50 and 64mgs of ram another $60.  So,
in my mind your upgrade, with reusing existing video and other
I/O cards, floppy, CD and hard drives will run in the $400
range.  If that is more than where you want to go...

Then, you are exploring AMD K6-2 CPUs...  you can get an
Epox EP-MVP3C2 motherboard:
http://www.epox.com/html/english/products/motherboard/ep-mvp3c.htm
along with an AMD K6-2/500mhz cpu for around $135.  Add in a
64mg PC100 Ram chip for $60...  this upgrade will be around $200.
This motherboard should work in your existing case, you will get a major
jump in processor speed...  and everything else in your PC should work
fine in the upgrade.

Please understand that the pricing is based on US dollars and purchasing
from online vendors.  Shipping costs were not factored in...  you can
check pricing quickly at:  http://www.pricewatch.com

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions