Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:39:55 +1200
That's interesting Jun.  Further to my original comments on the subject of
heatsinks and paste, I should have said that I rarely use any other CPU but
AMD.  These come in a sealed plastic pack, which my wholesaver buys in from
AMD themselves, and the pack also contains a fan\heatsink with a pre-applied
thermal pad.

Invariably, I use Gigabyte motherboards, usually the 7VKMLS or 7VKMP or
variations thereof.  Gigabyte is a reputable brand and these boards all have
thermal cutouts in the BIOS, default set to 105 degrees C.

These boards will NOT run with the AMD-supplied thermal pad.  I've proved
this not once but dozens of times.  Now, I don't even bother to try using
the original thermal pad - the first thing I do is scrape it off and use a
small amount of Arctic Silver.

If I don't do this, the computer won't start up, but just reboot endlessly.
With the pad replaced, it'll start instantly.

To my way of thinking, this doesn't say much for AMD's heatsink paste.  And
I'm not too worried about warranties - what I'm doing is the supplier's
idea.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown