From:
Johnny Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:09:57 -0500
That topic was discussed on the list before, I had a similar question, below
is the answer by (Justin Marzello)  that was given to me :-)  hope this
helps. I too have a Dell Laptop P3, compared to my celeron computer there is
a difference in performance as well as price.  In the long run paying more
for a pentium rather than a celeron will pay off.  I was told this many
times before I went to a pentium based system,  I saved money and I get
great performance out of my laptop. But do read the message below by -
Justin Marzello
-------
" The main difference between the celey and the pentium is the L2 cache that
the celey don't have. I think they use different instruction sets also but
I'm not sure. The L2 cache makes the pentium run allot faster but also allot
hotter. The cool temps of the celeron make for good and cheap over clocking
CPUs. I've seen 1GHz celerons run at almost 2GHz but with a decent heatsink
and fan you could run one at around 1.5GHz without a problem. The 1GHz
pentium would still out perform the overclocked celeron but the difference
in
price is huge. If you don't want to spend allot of money but still want a
nice CPU I would recommend an AMD. The duron does allot better then the
celeron and the Athlon does better, as lower clock speeds, then the pentium.
You can pick up an Athlon XP 1600+ for about $40. The XP 1600+ runs only at
1200MHz but it's on par with a pentium running at 1600MHz, that's how it
gets it's name. Back to the Intel chips, IMHO the pentium is worth the extra
bucks over the celeron. "

-Justin Marzello
----

Johnny :-)