From:
James Kerr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:53:44 -0400
>What is ostensibly true may not be practically true.
>
>In a computer with a PCI bus, the system BIOS allocates
>all resources to all PCI devices whether they are on the
>motherboard or in card slots. As the computer boots up,
>the BIOS finds out what type of resources (I/O, Memory,
>IRQ, etc.) each PCI device needs. The BIOS then allocates
>the resources at it sees fit. The PCI devices cannot request
>specific resources or in any other way control the resources
>allocated by the BIOS.
>
>Therefore, moving the PCI card to a different slot may cause
>the system to allocate a different IRQ, I/O port or memory to
>the card, thereby avoiding a problem with resource assignment.

Thank you John for clearing that up, I knew I wasn't losing it and that I
was right about what I was saying but thanks for clearing up the theory for
me, sometimes because I work with hardware almost all day, I dont have time
for theory but I know what works and gets the job done and moving the modem
definitely worked for me.

  ...James

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**