From:
Bob Chapel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:48:41 -0500
Joel et al,

I would not be so quick to discount the "old vision" to which you refer.   I
handle an agency that runs 2 Netware Servers and one UNIX RS/6000 to which
48 users connect with either genuine Wyse50 dumb terminals or Wyse60
emulation in windows......  the dumb terminals are virtually trouble free
substantially reducing the total cost of ownership (if you figure in the
time involved troubleshooting various seemingly inevitable windows
problems)....my Unix System runs virtually trouble free and I spend nearly
all of my "help desk" time answering and dealing with windows/Netware issues
or just plain Windows user issues.......  I would gladly trade every single
windows machine I have here for thin clients or dumb terminals in a true
client server configuration.

Best,
Bob Chapel
> >Hi David...
> >
> >I think my clients "vision" of "dumb terminal" is indeed, the "old"
> >definition you referred to. They run a photography business, not
> >computerized as of yet, although they have one at home that they keep
their
> >financial records on. In talking with them, I feel they are wishing to
get
> >into the "vision" they have seen depicted in movies or at other
> >"old-school" depictions of the computerized work place... one "mainframe"

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com