From:
Kevin Guest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 20:13:06 -0000
Currently I have:-
Very Cheap TXpro Mobo recently swop for an old Chaintec HX, Big mistake !!!
Max HD transfer 5.5Mb/Sec with latest ALi driver, better with osr2 standard
driver upto 10MB/Sec
Intel P133
32MB SDRAM
UDMA 3.2GB Quantum HD
STB Volocity 128 G.Card
Creative SB S.Card
HP7100i CD Writter
Mitsumi *8 CD-ROM
HSP 33.6 Modem
17" Hansol Monitor .26dpi

1)  I would like to go Intel P2 (233 or 266), would like to be able to play
quake II in hi-res!.

2)  Is there any advice you can give, I don't want to buy another dummy
motherboard.

3)  Will my SDRAM, G.Card, ect be OK ? As I see it I just lose the old mobo
and CPU.

4)  Also I had bad problems with that TX mobo and my CD Writter. Basically
if I use the osr2 std Driver, the software said that there was no suitable
IDE channel. If I used the driver that came with the board, when ever I put
a CD into the writer the system totally crashed (screen black!). And using
the latest driver I only got Xfer rate (AmiDiagnostics) 5.5MB/Sec. And at
this speed I get constant buffer under-runs and/or ASPI failure errors. Any
Ideas here ?

5)  If I stick to a board built around the Intel (440LX ?) chipset should I
get reasonable performance ?  Local stockest has Tiger Cat 440LX, Stingray
440LX, Intel P2 AL440LX, Intel P2 AL440LXA in my price range, are they any
good, is there a best one, or perhaps I should look else where for a
different one ?

Thanks for any responces, good info on the internet about P2 motherboards
does seem limited.

Kevin Guest
BionicBone