Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 18:31:16 -0000
On 1 Dec 2005 at 8:22, David Grossman wrote:

> Back up your data.
> Pop in the Windows 98 disk and format the hard drive.
> Reload Windows 98.
> Using the disks that came with the computer, re-load your drivers for
> the
> motherboard and for other devices.
> Write back to us if there are any remaining issues.
> David Grossman

Sorry but I did stress that:

>  It's important to stress that this isn't a floppy boot up into the
> internal C: drive, as that part of the machine is defunct, but a boot
> up straight into an OS on an external drive
> through the USB port.

Your procedure above only works if there is a c: drive, the install disk
won't recognise the external usb connected drive and the BIOS doesn't
offer USB as a boot option.  What I'd like is to be able to boot up with a
floppy which can load a driver that recognises the usb connected external,
and hand over to it to continue loading Windows installed on the external.
 This is not an option offered by the install disk and would need some
know how to jiggle, if it's possible?

This probably breaks down into 2 problems:

1/      Making a DOS start up disk that, presumably through loading an
appropriate DOS driver that then hands over to the external USB drive.

2/      Installing Windows to this USB drive when the install disk simply looks
for a c: drive and if it can't find one, which is the case here, dumbly
responds with 'can't find c drive'.

Neil T

--

                     support at our newest website: