From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:20:12 -0500
You will get almost as many answers as there are people on the list!  :)

My answer is to shut it off overnight or when you are leaving for an
extended period of time.  Also, shut it off if there is a storm,
particularly a storm with a great deal of lightning.

The rest of the time, use the screen saver to blank the screen after a few
minutes, and use the low-power function to put it on low power (yellow light
on monitor) after somewhat longer.

It is somewhat stressful to turn it on when it has been off.  On the other
hand, it wastes electricity, exposes it to surges, and has a slight wearing
out when you leave it on.  Using the screen saver and low power mode
alleviates these problems somewhat.

In any case, there are both people who leave their monitors on all the time
and people who shut their monitors off regularly.

Dean Kukral