From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:03:06 -0500
From: Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>

I have
> unplugged MANY keyboards and mice without ill effect, maybe I was just
> lucky, but... TTYL

Herbert is correct....

Way back in the days of Windows 3, if a mouse or keyboard were
disconnected, the OS quit responding and the user needed to reboot
in order for Windows to "see" the device again.  But there has never
been any major electrical/electronic danger from connecting or
disconnecting a keyboard or mouse..

Yes there is a possibility of electrical arcing at the moment of contact,
but the current levels are soooo low that this danger is almost negligible.
And the danger would be focused more toward the mouse or keyboard
not the MoBo -- mice and keyboards do not have a voltage source.
They each DRAW their current FROM the MoBo.

Printers, scanners, and other devices with their own power supplies
are excluded from this conversation for obvious reasons.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>