From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 14:53:43 -0500
> Hi all...
> My 2 yrs old compaq 1425 monitor suddenly lost 80% of its brightness.
> Can anyone help me with an idea?
> Thanks anyway.

        Ouch, doesn't sound good. Usually this type of problem means either a
failing power supply, the drive circuitry for the tube or even the tube
itself. However, since the monitor is pretty new (mine is 5 years and still
going) it might be something simpler. Does it have analog or digital
controls? If it has analog then it is possible the variable resister used
for brightness is dirty, try turning it back and forth a bunch of times. If
this doesn't do anything, or if you monitor has digital controls, try
bringing it to a monitor shop and get a free estimate on the repair cost,
chances are it will not be worth repairing it. Hopefully it isn't something
that serious but I haven't seen many people with this problem end in a happy
ending.

> P.S.: The cord that joins the monitor to the processor has 14 pins and 1
> empty hole. Is that normal or is there a pin missing?

        Perfectly normal, the minimum I've seen is 11 pins for an (S)VGA colour
monitor, if it is plug and play that usually adds two or three pins. Hope
this helped, TTYL

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org