From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 22:26:57 -0800
Deirdre Wall wrote:

>> I "know" it is the monitor, just wondering if
>> anyone on the list is knowledgeable about monitors and able to make an
>> educated guess as to what went wrong with the monitor.

There is a service bulletin on the 17" Q71 monitor
related to a "no power" condition.

     The 220uf electrolytic capacitor rated 85*C nearest
the dc-dc converter should have been 105*C. If this
capacitor fails IC001 will not output a 5vdc pulse
to IC004. The resulting symptom would be a hum,
relay click, and then no power.

   I've also determined from the schematic this model
would not hold up well against low voltage. Meaning
it's my opinion if this unit is regularly powered on  with
other devices at the same time this capacitor would
eventually leak.
   The other possibility is surge damage. Monitors
step up the voltage input making them very vulnerable
to everyday surges.

-yui shin

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html