From:
Hal Trachtenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 01:27:40 -0500
--- Ra <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello. I am trying to defrag my computer but I am
> finding that it won't let me. What happens is that I
> will do a scandisk and then a defrag but about 10%
> through the defrag it stops and tells me that
> windows cannot access part of this drive. To then
> click help and carry out the instructions for
> running scandisk. Using the Thorough Option I will
> do the scandisk again but then when I go to the
> defrag part again I am told the same thing. What
> could be the problem?
> Thank you for any help you can give me
> Myra Stewart

Myra

If you have programs running in the background,
specially utility programs like an antivirus program,
Norton Utilities/Systemworks, the scandisk and defrag
will not be able to work. You should close down all
programs that are running by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete
simultaneously (once), then End Task each program, one
at a time, EXCEPT Explorer. Some people also keep
Systray running, I prefer to close that also.