From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:31:56 -0600
If I am understanding you, you no longer have any functioning cooling fans
either on your power supply, or your video card. While the fan on the video
card may not be that important, the fan in the power supply is VERY
important. I am surprised that the power supply will function for an hour
w/o any cooling. This could also cause the hard drive to loose power from
the power supply itself, or it could just cause the inside of the case to
reach a point at which the hard drive can no longer function, but I have
never heard of this before.

Usually, in store bought systems, and even in alot of custom systems, the
only airflow in the case is what the power supply fan pulls through. As for
the BIOS temp reading, this may be the CPU temerature, which could still
stay within range it its fan is still functional. If you are qualified, you
should replace the power supply fan, and the video card fan before using the
system again. Be carefull, power supplies can be hazardous even when not
powered.

I would probably purchase a new power supply and or case with a power
supply.

Dennis Noble
It's not what you want that makes you fat,
It's what you get.