From:
Mel Emurian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:17:33 -0400
Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me with this. I recently installed an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro video adapter in my computer. Since then, I get a "new hardware found - PCI display adapter" box every time I boot. The card is AGP.

Here is what I have tried:
1) I removed the Diamond Monster Voodoo2 card from the system. It had occupied a PCI slot.
1) I removed the 9000 Pro and reinstalled it.
2) I have tried to install the driver called for in the box, but when doing this the computer hangs.
3) I booted into safe mode, checked device manager, and removed all display adapter entries except for the Radeon's.
4) I went into the BIOS and chose "no" for plug and play system installed.
5) I renamed the appropriate windows inf file for the driver named in the dialog box.

ATI's tech support hasn't provided a solution. They say it may be a problem relating to my system itself.

My system:
Win 98 SE
Abit BX133 Raid motherboard
Celeron 1 Gig
448 MB PC 100 ram
Sound Blaster 5.1 sound

There is no onboard video and no other video card is installed in the system.

How can I get the "new hardware found" box to stop coming up each time I boot?

A related question - I read on a site giving information about AGP that an AGP card designed to work in an AGP 4X system will only run in 2D if installed in a AGP 1X/2X system. In such cases, 3D will be unavailable. Is this true?

Mel