From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 06:10:19 -0400
Date:    Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:35:32 +0200
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: no dialtone

Hello,
A curious development on my laptop happened while  downloading a Norton AV
update: the connection was broken [no apparent reason], and when I tried  to
reconnect, the modem failed to emit its usual bleeps and the wanadoo
connection commentary announced the connection failed because there was no
dial tone.
But a check of the line revealed all was as it should be, as did a check of
the usual problem points - the telephony, modem and dial-up connection
functions. Even Internet Options/connections/ always dial default was in
order. The 'Help' service merely suggested clearing a tick in a box
requesting the dialer to wait for a dialtone [this made no difference]
before throwing  in the towel. What may have caused this problem, and how
best to restore the  dialtone?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Ron

Juast a couple of suggestions. Did you check to see if the line connecting
the wall jack to your modem became disconnected? Can you plug a phone into
that particular jack to see if you still have dial tone? It sounds as though
maybe phone wire became disconnected somehow. If you can't get a dial tone
from the line after checking it with a phone, the problem may lie within the
wiring to the jack, or at the NID (Network Interface Device) on the outside
of the house. I'm not sure how the Phone Company operates in the UK, but
some companies provide plans for service either just to the nid, or for the
wiring in the house.

Chris ryan

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml