From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:14:04 -0700
Step one is to go to the www.hp.com, and navigate to the site for drivers
for this printer.  You will find a tiny program for cleaning out the USB
files (it's a cleanup uninstaller).  After you have uninstalled the printer
drivers, which I think you can do from the installation CD, you need to shut
down the computer.  Plug the printer into the USB port and turn it on.  Then
turn on the computer.  It should come up with new hardware found, after
which you need to first install the USB files, then the printer driver.  My
recollection is that after the USB files are installed the printer driver is
installed without intervention.  You might download a later driver while
you're getting the cleanup program.

I am new to PCBUILD.  I am trying to help a friend rebuild his system after
a virus wiped out his Windows mainfiles. I reformatted his 20 gig HD, did
FDISK, clean-install his Win98 s/e and configured his components.  During
this process, I ran into a problem with his USB HP Deskjet 612C printer.
Although Windows P'nP engine helped a lot (installing monitor, modem,
scanner, etc.) but it does not recognize the USB printer. I could not seem
to access his USB port to install the printer.  I have checked the BIOS and
verified that the BIOS ports are enabled.  Also verified the System's Device
Driver and it showed: USB Root Hub and a PCI to USB Universal Host
controller.

With the HP DJ Driver CD in the drive, I attempted to load the printer for
the XX number of times through Start/Setting/Printers/Add Printer.  The
set-up program though would only give me the LPT and COM ports for
configuration.  I am obviously not doing it right and the HP website is of
no help at all.  I would greatly appreciate any help from anyone.  TIA.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml