Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:41:30 -0800
On Fri, 4 Jan 1980 22:52:14--  Brian wrote:

Hi Brian,

Try removing the 40 pin hard drive ribbon cable and boot the machine. You
should get harddrive failer message and a message that tells you how to
enter setup.  If not, the cmos is corrupted and needs to be replaced.
 I don't believe a bios update will help because access to setup is firmware
which is set by the manufacturer.

mike michel

PCBUILD - Personal Computer Hardware discussion List wrote:

>  Hello all , I have a good one for you,
>      I own an emachines emonster 500a and I cannot get into cmos to save
my
>  life(american megatrends version 1.04 oct 99).  I have tried every
keyboard
>  stroke "delete", f1-12, escape, control alt escape, control alt enter,
even
>  control alt delete.  I hit all these keys right after it boots and counts
>  the Ram,   and no luck, it looks for the cd then a drive, then boots from
>  ide-0. then windows loads. the website says to hit the delete key after
the
>  elogo comes up, I quit getting that logo during the boot process quite
>  sometime ago, never thought about it till now.  I even replaced the cmos
>  battery thinking this would fix it. Nope.
>     PC works fine just have the date stuck on jan 4 1980.I update it in
>  windows but it reboots back to this date.  It keeps the time fine though.
>  But when one day I may really need something critical and I'm screwed  I
>  have gone to the motherboards.org looking for a bios update thinking that
>  would solve it, but decided to pursue this route.  Any help is greatly
>  appreciated thanks.. Brian
>
>           PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>                       visit our download web page at:
>                    http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/