From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:34:26 -0800
USB Print Servers work well, however, there is one major drawback. They are
not bi-directional. This means that you will not be able to use any
advanced printer driver features. You will have basic printing support.
That is probably OK with a Laser, but with a Inkjet, and photo printing, it
may be an issue. Disable bi-directional support on the printer you wish to
use, that is currently connected to a PC, reboot, and you will get an idea
of what it is like.

I have a Netgear USB print server that I use for my Laser, but I use an old
Dell CP233MMX Latitude laptop running Windows 2000, as my Injet print
server, my FTP server, and I store some stuff on it's updated 20GB drive. I
have the battery removed, and run it off AC 24/7 with hard drive power
down, and display power down enabled. It works great. The only reason I
don't plug the laser into it is that I like to split up resources, so that
if one thing goes down, everything doesn't go down.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/

>>I am considering getting a USB print server for my daughter to use. She has
>>an HP 1020 LaserJet printer. Some reviews I have seen for products by
>>Hawkings and others indicate that sometimes they work well, and for others
>>they don't work reliably. Are there any recommendations from the list with
>>experiences to share? It would be good to have one that uses DHCP, if such
>>are available. Of course, cost is also a consideration.
>>Thank you.
>>Peter

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>