From:
Brady Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 20:51:49 -0500
At 11:24 AM 5/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Definately sounds like it's at the end of it's rope.... You might try
>booting from a dos disk and runinig on it to see what it says, but
>the whining and clanking of the drive is definately a sign of it crapping
>out.
 I had the same problem this weekend with a seagate drive scandisk,
nortons, and spinrite would access the drive up to 19% and then the click
clack of a lockup like it was searching for somthing that wasn't there.  As
it is an old drive I chose to experiment with it and tried to format it and
it locked up at 19% I then did an fdisk set up a primary partition of 17%
c:  set up an extended partition on  the rest of the disk I then set a
logical drive of 5%  d: and e: as the rest of the drive I was able to
format c: and e: and load system files on  I was able to run spinrite on c:
and e:  I don't know how long it will last but I think its worth trying I
will load win95 this week and see if this extends the life or if it will
continue to get worse.

Brady Burke