From:
Tim Lider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 16:30:41 -0700
Hello David A Abbe, at 09:29 AM 6/22/98 -0400 you wrote:

>I have been stumbling my way through setting up a small 10/100 network
>using Cat 5 UTP and things have been fine so far....now i need to "make"
>another cable.  There are 4 pairs of twisted wires.  when crimping on the
>connector, does it matter what order the pairs hook up?  or is it fine to
>just make sure both ends of the cable are identical?  if it doesn't
>matter which order, then wouldn't it have to match the other cables going
>to the hub??

  If you are putting the cables into a hub and then to the server and the
nodes.  All you need to do is set them as "Straight-Thru"  Here is a
Diagram of how the pairs should be setup:

Top of connector (Flat)

                Pair 3
            ______________
  ____     |     ____     |     ____
 |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |
 |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |
 1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8
W-O   O   W-G   BL  W-BL  G  W-BR   BR
 Pair 2         Pair 1         Pair 4

Bottom of Connector (Jagged Edged)

  To make the connector computer to computer, instead of hub to computer.
Just twist pair 1.

Good luck,

Tim Lider
Advanced Data Solutions              ICQ: 7562541
Web Site: http://www.adv-data.com E-Mail: Mailto:[log in to unmask]