From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:46:05 -0400
Some additional info:

1)  I can ping out to the internet by ip address.

2)  I hooked up one of the working laptops to the router,
and ran ipconfig to get its dns server addresses.
I then configured tcp/ip for the wired nic on the problem
laptop to use those dns server addresses.  Now I could
go out to the internet by hostname.  So it seems that
dns is the core issue here.

3)  In w2k (the os on the working laptop), the tcp/ip configuration
screen has *both* a choice for server assigned ip address,
and server assigned dns addresses.  Unless I'm missing
something, the tcp/ip configuration screen on nt4 doesn't
offer an explicit choice for server assigned dns addresses.
It only offers the choice of obtaining ip address from DHCP server.

4)  Reminder:  Before I installed the orinoco card on the
nt4 laptop, the laptop's wired connection was working
with the router.  All I had to do was specify obtain ip address
from DHCP server --- I didn't do anything special for dns,
and hadn't realized it might be an issue.

So I'm limping along now, but I can't believe I'm doing this
right.  Manually configuring the dns server addresses would
seem to defeat the whole purpose of DHCP.

Thanks for any help.

I wrote:

> I have a linksys dsl router / wireless access point.
> Synopsis:  2 1/2 other clients work fine, including a similar
> wired / wireless setup.  The new orinoco card works on the
> lan, but not the internet, and installing the orinoco card caused
> the previously working wired connection on the same machine
> to quit working on the internet.
     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

                     support at our newest website: