From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 22:36:25 -0500
At 09:17 PM 1/7/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Eric,
>
>According to Zone Alarm support it will work with ICS that runs on the same
>computer but not with NAT software on the same computer.  Check their
>support page: http://www.zonealarm.com/support_za_ics.htm
>I was running NAT so it would not work on my network, installed on the
>gateway computer, even with IP addresses or computer names added to the
>local zone.  As I remember, Zone Alarm 1.0 would not support ICS either.  If
>you are running NAT then you will have to upgrade to Zone Alarm Pro to
>install Zone Alarm on the gateway computer.  I had to many problems with ICS
>and use Sygate on my network.  I could not get Zone Alarm 1.0 to work
>installed on the gateway computer at all, with Sygate running on the same
>computer.  It would not allow any computer except the gateway to access the
>internet.
>
>Mary Wolden

Mary,

You are correct about their web page and I don't dispute the fact that you
never got it to work (I have a MCSE friend that could not either).  But I
have to say they are wrong.  Either that or I am incredibly lucky to have
run Sygate, Wingate AND Windows ICS (all at different times obviously) and
had absolutely no problems running ZA on the gateway machine.  All I had to
do was place the LAN IP block (or in one case just the computer name) in to
the local zone.  I can't explain why it worked, it just did.  I wrote to
Zone Labs directly several times about this and never received a response.

Now, with the upgrade to version 2.1 of ZA, they may have disabled this
functionality in the "freeware" version, but I can say that at one time it
did work.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org