Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:26:38 +0000
Greetings--

Fred Langa (of Windows.com, formerly Windows magazine) has recommended
a product called Boot-itNG (Boot-it Next Generation) a partition manager,
boot manager, & imaging utility disk.  It will allow you to create, manage, and resize partitions, create disk images on hard disk or CD-R/RW, load and manage the boot of multiple operating systems.  It works very well, and it has way more capability than I will ever likely use.  For the price ($35.00), I can't imagine a more effective multi-purpose tool. It has a fairly steep learning curve and the documentation could be better, but that may be just the opinion of one whose knowledge is not as extensive as some of the other wizards on this list.

I'm certain this tool will do what you need to have done. (I resized my XP NTFS partition with no loss of data, and created a FAT32 partition with the space I freed up.  I then created an image of my 'operating' partition as a backup in the newly created FAT32 partition.  (Making it FAT32 was a requirement of the disk imaging component of the utility.)  It can be downloaded from http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/.

HTH

Paul A. Shippert
> We have several computers with WIN98 SE and 20 GB HD's.  One of them was
> initially, and mistakenly and unbeknownst to us, set up with FAT 16 rather
> than FAT 32 which limited the drive's effective size to 2GB rather than the
> full 20GB capacity.  Solution is simple, right?  Run Microsoft's FAT32
> converter.  We did that, and without any apparent loss of data.  But, drive
> C is still reporting as 2GB even though FAT 32 is now also reported.
>
> How does one change the 2GB partition to a full 20 GB partition without
> destroying the data now?  Running Fdisk seems to only allow the option of
> destroying the initial 2GB drive in order to have drive C have a size of 20 GB.
>
> If Fdisk cannot accomplish this job without having to reinstall Windows and
> all of the other software and data, can anyone suggest commercial software
> up to the task?
>
> Thanks.  Dave Ralph
>
> David E. Ralph
> Chemung County Neighborhood Legal Services, Inc.
> 215 E. Church St., Ste 301
> Elmira, NY 14901
> VOX 607-734-1647 Ext. 205
> FAX 607-734-1018