From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2010 07:24:28 -0700
It sounds as if your backup disk somehow got the boot loader on it. If that
is the case, then the MBR (Master Boot Record) that is used for booting is
on the backup disk. When you remove it from the system, the computer does
not know how to boot.

To fix this problem, remove the backup disk and boot from your Windows
installation disk and select the repair option. With Windows 7 it is a
rather easy process. With XP, you would have to go to a recovery console and
run FIXBOOT from the command line.

One more thought. Although you seem certain about which drive you are
removing, what happens if you disconnect your main drive and leave the
backup in place. Does it try to boot?

Peter Shkabara