From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 06:38:59 -0800
Hi Mark,

While not officially supported by Microsoft, Windows 2000 will recognize
both "cores" in an HT processor. We do this all the time at work. I can't
say if it makes maximum use of this scenario, but it does provide at least
some level of multi-processing.

Where Windows XP Pro is supposed to do a better job is when you have two HT
processors. Windows 2000 will only recognize two processors, period. So
while a dual processor HT system will have 4 "cores" available, Windows
2000 will only use 2 of them, whereas Windows XP Pro is supposed to use all
4, since it is supposed to count each physical HT processor as one for
licensing issues, but it uses both HT cores.

Russ Poffenberger

At 05:48 PM 2/21/2006, you wrote:
>The most important consideration here is what processor you will be using.
>If you a planning on a new P4 then it will support HT, or hyperthreading,
>which Windows 2000 does not support. HT, makes the processor appear to XP
>like two processors. This is not dual core, but was the first step toward it.
>
>  The result of HT is that you will see two processors under device
> manager, one of which, of course, is virtual, and you will realize around
> a 12 percent boost in overall  performance over Windows 2000, when
> running XP PRO with a HT processor.
>
>If, however, you have a AMD setup, then HT will not come into play.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com