From:
GeneralStuff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 18:04:42 -0500
 I have an HP ScanJet 4200C.  Yes, its several years old.  I tried 4 new
 ones because I wanted the faster USB speed, and took them all back because
 either they were less controllable, took MANY more clicks to do simple
 things, had few settable defaults, or the pictures (subjectively, to me)
 were not as good as this one and the software was horrendously
 complicated and aggravating.  The process was actually slower than with the

 one I have by the time I actually got the item scanned, partly due to the extra
 selections that had to be made.

 Since I reinstalled a clean copy of XP on my HP machine (not easy) and
 reinstalled the scanner - with care, doing everything (software, when to
 plug in, etc.) in exactly the right order according to the instruction,
 my scanner seems to "lose" the driver everytime I turn the PC off.  I
 reinstall the driver (I have tried it both unplugging the scanner from
 the PC and not) and its fine. 20

 I once tried a "updated" driver from the HP site, but I hated it - once
 again, more complicated, choices I did not want, etc..  I'm willing to
 buy a new scanner, but I do pretty much the same thing every time I scan
 (best color photograph) and save as .jpg or in a .doc, and I want
 something that doesn't take 5 clicks to do it.

 When the "can't find scanner driver" comes up, if I click on
 "troubleshooting" it says the scanner doesn't work under NT, but I was
 running XP when I bought it and it worked fine.  It still works fine,
 unless I turn off the machine.  Also, I believe the driver I'm using is
 one that HP said WOULD enable the scanner to work under XP.

 Have any suggestions, guys?  OR, better yet, anyone know of a fast scanner

 that creates a great image AND has EASY software with settable defaults?

 Thanks,
 AnnaSummers

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com