From:
"Larry A. Kaduce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 00:20:07 -0600
I've gotten lucky with this too, but if your old drive is formatted in NTFS,
if something goes wrong or is incompatable you are in for a long love affair
with Recovery Console, which isn't a pretty sight.  This is my preferred
method:

If the old machine still runs, use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
found on the Windows XP Pro CD. This will work on all operating systems back
to Windows 98. If there is enough hard drive space to fit the compressed
backup volue on the old drive, then copy it there or to a removable device.

Do a clean install of XP on the new machine. You might have to call
Microsoft to reactivate the software. Then run the wizard to restore your
files and settings from the backup. You may have to reinstall some programs,
but all your documents, favorites, mail settings and files will be in place
just like you left them.

I typically reformat every six months using this method and have found it to
be the most reliable method. You may get lucky just uninstalling drivers and
installing the old drive, but the extra steps here are cheap insurance and
makes upgrades much less painful.

Good luck,

Larry A. Kaduce