From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:40:26 -0600
At 03:25 AM 8/27/99 , Larry Hooper wrote:
>Thanx, Jan, for straightening me out. I don't know how
>I came to the assumption that Dr. Hardware was free.
>And I checked; Dr. Hardware v5.5e Sysinfo (DOS) refuses to work
>after 14 days.
>Still it is a great program for evaluating a PC, but;
>
>According to the Dr, Hardware license agreement, for every
>computer it gets used on, one needs to purchase an additional
>license, quoting here;
>   "The purchaser may use a single purchased copy only for
>   his own purposes, and only on one computer at one time".
>This of course renders the program legally useless
>for my intended purposes as a PC technician.
>
>I'm wondering if any No-Spin members know of a cheaper, or
>better, and/or free hardware evaluation program which can be
>carried on a floppy disk and not installed on the computer?

In days gone by I used such shareware programs as SNOOPER and
SYS CHECK for this purpose, they fit on a floppy real nice.  They
are both rather dated for today's computers, but will work well on
a p200 system or slower.  These are available to download on
our file download page:   http://nospin.com/pc/files.html  Unfortunately,
I have not seen or heard of any others available to download off the
Internet that fall in the freeware catagory.

A few years ago, I started using Ultra-X's Quicktech Pro and now their
Quicktech Pro98.  This is a great little software diagnostic program
that can check all your hardware: see our product review of these at:
   http://nospin.com/pc/articles.html#Diagnostic
QuickTech Pro98 sells for just under $100 and comes on a floppy disk.
It is great for quick or full diagnostics...  and even a full burnin.   The
entire application fits on a single floppy.

Ultra-X has a new product out now, QuickTech2000 and you can read
more about it at:  http://www.ultra-x.com/     They were suppose to send
us a copy to review it, but we are still waiting.

This sort of diagnostic software is not for the average user, but for a
PC tech, it is very valuable and well worth the investment.

                Bob Wright
       The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                            The NOSPIN Group