Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:01:21 EDT
        I recently re-partitioned a new HDD (Maxtor DiamondMax Plus) that now
contains a primary partition and an extended partition with three logical
drives. C drive has WIN98SE, D drive contains the swap file, E drive is a
program/games drive and F drive is for files. My question is this: I want to place
all of the program files into the E drive, will this have any adverse effects?
I've placed a lot of program files there, but I am hesitant to move certain
programs such as my AV, my firewall and the programs associated with the sound
and video cards along with my disc writing program. Eventually I will replace
the OS with XP when the drive is placed in another custom built PC, and the idea
is I want to be able to completely uninstall the old OS without losing any
data, rather than chance and pray an 'upgrade' will go smoothly. I understand
that there are .dll files and other drivers that install into the Windows OS
with the more complex programs and I have a complete set of discs to reinstall
them with, but I want to try and streamline the process any way I can. It took a
full three days to install all of the necessary drivers for all of the
hardware on the new disc and then tweak the settings to taste. And yes, the drive is
worth the hassle of the transfer as a lot of the components in the current
box will be used. (saving a fair amount money in the process)
       Any help would be appreciated.

Chris Ryan

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>