From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 10:58:14 -0400
On Sat, 27 Jun 1998 00:24:54 -0700 Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]> writes:
snip
>The drive had a corrupt boot sector and a number of bad sectors
snip
>However I can not label the drive. When I formatted I did not create a
>label and yet there is one .....Ai......I suppose I could have
>inadvertently created this but I don't think so. I can not remove it or
>change it and any attempt to do so with the label command results in a
>error message from Dos < cannot make directory entry > . I am running
Dos
>6.22 . Does anyone have any idea why I can not label the
>drive.....does the label Ai have any significance.?

        I have seen where, due to corrupt characters, "the system" can
not
translate what it sees on the drive to a "user OR system friendly" set of
characters that are permissible under the DOS rules for filenames, etc.
SOME of your common utilities DO NOT find OR report this kind of
corruption either...
        Basically, DOS is finding something on your drive it NEVER
expected
to find. It can't and WON"T deal with it. This is also why the utilities
don't
find it...  Seems like they should look, because this is a valid
"catagory"
of problem...  Stay tuned, they will notice someday...
This is like : If a tree falls in the woods, is there a sound if no one
is around?
You have a problem "no one?" looks for.

        I think you have questions you have to ask yourself:
  1). Do I feel lucky?
  2). Can I spell (and use) disk editor? (This word causes my posts to
        "fail" on the list, SO, DO NOT PLAY with a disk editor, see #1)
  3). Was the cause of the original problem PROVEN to be temporary.
  4). Should I think about  #1 some more...
  5). Do I see the character "underscore" anywhere in my file management
        where I can PROVE it should NOT  be? (This is NOT a good sign.)
        Underscore is a "placeholder" for extended characters DOS can
        not read correctly. DOS can not use THIS as a placeholder
correctly,
        so a file can not be found, an entry can not be changed, etc...
        DOS goes to find the underscore, and it is not there!!!
Good luck. PS: My disk editing on my system has served me well,
BUT my hard drive is VERY new and I did have "system noise" problems.
(I define system noise as bad power that gets recorded as data,
corrupting
the drive info...)  MY answer to #1 is:   yes... VERY
        Rick Glazier

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]