From:
Tom Sykora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 00:22:13 -0500
This is a resend of a message that was lost in the Earthlink snafu. :)
"Mike or others,
I wonder if anybody has experimented with an indoor/outdoor thermometer
such as you would use for your home. Putting the "outside" probe at the
desired location inside the case may help troubleshooting and evaluating
things such as fan arrangements."

Hi,
I just went through this with a Radio Shack indoor/outdoor thermo, placing
the outdoor probe a few inches above my CPU fan.  I found a deal on some
fans ...bought a bunch and started playing :)  It seemed no matter how or
what I did with the axial fans, the temp probe was reading twenty degrees
over ambient.  Two rear fans, one front case fan pulling air in, and the
power supply fan did not help much where i needed cooling.  I opened a
front bay and that helped immediately.   Next I tried a slot "blower" fan
from Antec, and now the RS thermo reads from 6 to 10 degrees F over
ambient.  (I ended up removing two axial fans and use just one rear axial,
the Antec rear slot blower, and the power supply fan)
Cheap filter cloth works for the bay.

I was surprised at how much better the blower was at sucking air, but more
likely it was opening the bay that allowed air to be pulled in through that
dead zone that helped most.  Next time I will try a hard drive cooler or
bay cooler designed to pull air in from a bay, because the filter cloth is
not as attractive as a bay cooler would be :)
Tom Sykora