From:
Anne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:32:25 +0930
Hi all,

I have 2 computers I want to network and share a DSL internet connection.

One is running Win98SE, the other XP Pro.

I had the computers networked previously using an ethernet cable from
the thernet ports in each computer.  At the time my DSL modem was
connected through the USB port on the Win98SE computer without
attempting to share the connection. I used the XP Pro set up for
networks which worked ok at the time.

My old DSL modem died, the new one - Dynalink RTA/100+ (available only
in Australia, according to the web site) is advertised as a
modem/router. So far, I have only managed to get this new modem working
using the ethernet port. When attempting to install as a USB connection,
the modem shows up in the System list as present and working through the
USB, but the modem won't work. I have tried it separately on all 4 USB
ports. (This is all on the Win98SE computer.)

The primary question is:-

Can I link the 2 pcs using the modem/router?, then share the DSL
connection? If so, how? Each PC has one ethernet outlet.

The second PC does not have an internal modem. I have been told I cannot
connect the pcs without installing another modem in the XP Pro pc, but I
imagine that would slow down the internet sharing speeds.

The pcs are situated in the same room, so WiFi would be a little over
the top, not to mention expensive.

I keep Win98SE on my pc becasue I have too many programs that will not
work on XP Pro, and it is way too expensive to upgrade them all to XP
versions.

Thank you

Anne Smith