From:
patrick j meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 00:24:14 -0700
I have used many for various purposes and for the most part they are a
commodity like a floppy disk.  They all do what they are supposed to and
speed is about the same and durability is about the same and so on and so
on. All store files, can function as a web server, boot machines, run linux
from, etc, etc, etc.
Only one brand have I found to be really slow - a Kingston one, which was a
shock since I like their memory so much. Perhaps it was a bad one, still
works but is slower than the others.

I have 'drives' from Lexar, Crucial, Apacer, AVG, Sandisk, and a few clones
- all the USB 2 perform the same, the USB 1.1 also though slower.

I think form factor is a greater concern. If you plan on having attached to
your keychain then a stronger connection is wanted - a plastic loop on the
end won't last long.  In my case they tend to bounce around in my pockets
and bag - so a tight cap that will stat on is preferred.  I also don't like
the key chain attachment to be on the cap - lost one that way once - fell
off the id chain around my neck.
Stumpy ones are nicer with laptops, those with rubber covering so you can
get a grip are nice.
I'm at the point where I buy a different brand each time so i can know by
feel which one is which in the bottom of the bag. I've set up one for
running linux (BBC), one is work files, one is home files, one emergency
rescue disk, one for web server (uniform server), one boot for work
stations/servers/desktops at work.

I would say that price, form factor and design matter more now than
internals.  Go for the model that works for you in your price range.

At 10:30 AM 4/4/2005, you wrote:

>I'd like to purchase a pocket USB Flash Drive and would appreciate advice and
>recommendations on selecting one that's a good performer, durable, and a solid
>value. With so many brands, options and prices out there, I'd like to avoid
>making a mistake and get it right the first time. To date I've briefly looked
>at the following devices:
>
>1) Crucial Gizmo! Hi-Speed USB Flash Drive
>2) DiskOnKey 100 and 500 Series Flash Drives
>3) Geek Squad™ USB 2.0 Flash Drive
>
>Thanks in advance for your input and help.

>-- incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
>Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml