From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 19:19:51 -0500
Some programs (probably older or written by less-talented writers) have an installation process that wants to install them to the
"C" drive.  You may or may not have any such programs.

You need to be aware that compact flash units have a limited number of  write cycles in them.  Storing the operating system seems
like a good idea, since you probably figure that once it is there, there will be little writing done, since it should be
"permanent."  However, log files and file allocation tables may be dynamic and your system could experience premature failure.

Still, say for a system used only for offline gaming, the idea is interesting, assuming that a total failure would not result in
significant loss.  Try to use the fully-licensed version of XP (as opposed to the OEM version) so that it may be reinstalled if/when
the system fails.

See the following web site for a little more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

If  you go through with this, please let us know in a month or two how it worked out using the solid state memory.

Dean Kukral